こちらに来て初めての仕事は、学校のスクールサポーターの仕事です。簡単に説明すると、常勤ではなく、常勤の方の休みが出たときのピンチヒッターのようなもので、休みが出た当日の朝、教育委員会から出勤依頼の電話がかかってくるという仕組みです。
My first job here in Canada has been working in local schools as a Teacher's Assistant. To put it simply, the job itself is not a regular full-time job. When a regular staff member at any of the schools in this district is unable to work, I basically cover for them...kind of like a pinch hitter. On any given day, should someone be unable to work for a day, half of a day, or (as was the case this past week) even for a whole week, I'll get a call from the Board of Education Placement Coordinator (who also happens to be a new fan of this blog!(*^_^*)) in the morning before the school day begins.
カナダでの初めての仕事ということもありすごく緊張して、2カ月経った今でも学校に行く日の朝は緊張から胃がキュっと痛みます・・。
As this has been my first experience working here in Canada it's been full of exciting challenges but also, I have to admit, a little shaky on the nerves. Even now after doing this for 2 months I still get so nervous in the morning that my stomach is in knots.
さて、私は主に小学校で働くことが多いですが、やっぱり日本の小学校の様子(自分の小学校の記憶)と比べると、違います!
I have been mostly working in Elementary schools, where I've noticed many interesting differences between Canadian schools and elementary schools back in Japan (at least, compared to my memories of my days as an elementary school student).
細かいところを挙げるときりがありませんが、一番の違いはこれ↓です。
Of course there are countless little differences, but here is the number one difference:
ほぼ毎回違う小学校に行きますが、どこの学校でも朝一番にすることは、国歌斉唱です!
上につけた、カナダを代表する映像と共に国歌を歌う学校もあれば、『French Friday』と金曜日だけ国歌をフランス語で歌う学校もありますし、フレンチイマージョンがある学校では英語で月~水曜日、フランス語で木~金曜日は歌うようにしているところもあります。
With the exception of this past week, almost every time I get a call it is for a different school. Although each school is different, one part of the morning routine is always the same: the singing of the National Anthem! The clip above is a video which features a string of classic Canadian images that plays to the accompaniment of the Canadian National Anthem. It has been interesting to see students singing along, sometimes in English and sometimes in French! At one school, even though the students aren't in a French Immersion program, once a week they will try to sing in French (they call it "French Fridays"). At one of the French Immersion schools, the students sing in English Mondays through Wednesdays, and in French on Thursdays and Fridays.
上のビデオは、カナダの素晴らしい映像が集められているので、ぜひみなさんにも見てもらおうと付けました。
The video above is a really great collection of some wonderful images of Canada. Unfortunately, I could only find the musical version (the one usually played at school includes singing). I hope you enjoy watching it!
日本では、国歌斉唱をしない先生が処罰を受けたり(今も公判中かと思いますが・・)、国歌斉唱に関しては賛否両論です。
愛国心ということにもいろいろな意見があると思います。
In Japan, a school teacher was actually punished for refusing to sing the National Anthem (I think the case is still before the courts). In Japan, there are pros and cons to singing the National Anthem. In my country, patriotism and nationalism are contentious issues.
カナダに来てから思うことは、カナダでは愛国心はとても大切なこととして考えられているように思いますし、カナダグッツもたくさん売られていますし、人々も身につけています。
例えば、一番代表的なのはバンクーバーオリンピックで一躍大人気になった手袋
I've found since coming here that in Canada, national pride is seen to be a very important thing. There is a lot of Canadian merchandise sold in stores and it is very common to see people here wearing something that has a Maple Leaf on it or is in some way Canadian. A good example of this was the Vancouver Olympic mitts that became a super hot item for kids and adults alike.
| 2010年モデル |
| 2011年モデル |
There are various clothing items that have a Canadian logo
などなど、たくさんカナダをモチーフにした商品があります。
日本ではあんまり日本をモチーフにした服が人気になってることはないように思います。
これも文化の違いですね。
今日も学校で "I ♡ Canada"と書かれたTシャツを着ている生徒がいたので、そう言えば・・と思って書きました(^.^)
In Japan, I can't think of anything similar that would compare to what I see here in Canada.
I suppose this is another difference in culture.
Even today at school there was a student wearing an "I ♡ Canada" t-shirt, which prompted me to write this blog entry.(^.^)
国旗や国名がデザインになっている商品が人気、不人気に関わらず、自分の国のことが好きだなぁ、いいなぁと思えることがいいなぁ・・と個人的には思いました(*^_^*)
Regardless of the popularity or appeal of merchandise bearing a country's flag or name, personally speaking I think the idea of liking your own country or being able to say that you like your country is a great thing.
国旗や国名がデザインになっている商品のことを考えると、他の国はどうなんだろう・・と自然に思考が巡ります。イタリア、フランス、ケニア、アメリカ、フィンランドなどなど・・・それぞれの国に住む友達・家族にに今度話す機会があったら聞いてみたいと思います(^.^)
In writing about all this, I got to thinking: What about other countries? Italy, France, Kenya, U.S.A., Finland, etc. The next time I have the opportunity to connect with friends and family living around the world, I look forward to finding out more about it(^.^)
オーカナダ!!!
返信削除国歌斉唱といえば、私たちの結婚パーティーやった時の夜に、うちの家で2次会したんだけど、カナダ、イタリア、日本の国歌斉唱をそれぞれの国の代表がやってた(笑)今、その時のスティーブの国歌斉唱を思い出したよ。楽しかったなぁ。
よしみちゃんのカナダリポートを読んで、スティーブの愛国心の強さが納得できました。なるほどね。子どもの時からそんな風に育つんだ。
イタリア人はねーサッカーの世界選手権があるときと、フランスとの間に何か問題が起きるときには、やたらと強い愛国心を喚起されるようだよ(苦笑)
国歌斉唱は学校ではないらしいし。国民の何割がちゃんと歌詞の意味を理解できてるのかも怪しいところだね。
The tendency in Italy nowadays (but I should say in the past, too) is that of blaming and despising the country while living here, and supporting and defending it when abroad. It may seem strange to foreigners, but in a way it makes perfect sense for a country as full of contraddictions as Italy.
返信削除ひろちゃんアントニオも元気か?
返信削除愛国心を培うことはとても大切です。
国を失えば国民ではなく難民と呼ばれるようになります。
私は私のできるところで国を大切にする心を教えていきます。いつか世界のどこかでみんなで会えるといいな!
taka marugame
みなさん、興味深いコメントありがとうございます!
返信削除私もあれからちょっと気になって日本の事とかも調べてみようかなぁと思っていた矢先、ニュースで橋下大阪府知事が「国歌斉唱の際に起立しない教員を処分できるよう条例を作る!」という発言をしたという記事を読んで、日本はこの件に関してはまだまだいろいろ意見があるなと改めて思わされました。
私個人的にはKame-mさんに賛成なので、Kame-mさんを応援していますし、自分自身も草の根運動で頑張っていきたいと思っています!
フランスの様子もTorieちゃんから聞くことができました。
フランスでは、イタリアと同様に国歌を小学校から歌うということはないそうです。愛国心うんぬんかんぬん以前に、歌詞が戦争の々しい描写があるとこから小さな子どもにはふさわしくないと察することができるとのことでした。国旗にしても、カナダのようにフランス人が国旗を服のデザインとして身に着けることはないそうです。
日本人は逆にフランスの国旗はおしゃれのイメージから小物を中心によく使われるのになぁと思ったりもしました。
カナダからの発信だけじゃなくて、こうやって国際交流があるとさらにおもしろいなぁと思いました!!
コメント本当にありがとうございました(*^_^*)