2011年1月29日土曜日

散歩 Going for a Walk

先週は天気がとっても良く、散歩に行ったので外の様子を伝えます(*^_^*)
Last week the weather was nice, so we headed-out for some walks in the sunshine! Here are some pictures I took on our walks.
この日は、屋根の上の雪かきをしている人をたくさん見ました!
We were surprised to see plenty of people up on their rooftops shoveling off the heavy piles of snow! 
住宅地の車が通れない道はこんな感じです↓
Here is an example of a path for walking, not for cars.
住宅地の中でも車が走れる道はこんな感じです↓道の両サイドに雪を積むか、大きなスペースがあればそこに雪が集めてあります。
Here are some pictures of what the residential roads look like these days.  Snow is piled-up along the side of the street, or if there is a big space somewhere it gets piled-up there.
話はちょっとそれますが、これは先月に撮った写真です。こんな風に、大きなマシーンで車道は整備されます↓道路に踏み固められた雪を削り取っています。
Here is a picture that I actually took last month.  Big machines like this one come around to clear the snow from the streets. This one has a big scraping shovel that clears away the hard-packed snow. 
家の前に雪を積まれては、家から出る事ができないので、この大型の機械の後には、小型の機械で1つ1つ家の前の雪を掃けます。これらは全て市が運営しているそうです。
As the big machine clears the street it leaves behind a huge wake of snow and ice.  This row of snow blocks the front of each home's driveway.  These smaller machines (people refer to them as "Bobcats") zip around and tidy things up: clearing the entrance to driveways and putting the snow into piles. This work is all done by the city's Public Works Department.    

今日の散歩に話を戻します。散歩から戻って家を見ると・・・連日の雪で屋根の上には雪がいっぱいでした。雪かきしたくなりますね(^.^)
As our walk ended back at the house, I noticed how much snow had piled-up on the rooftop after days and days of snowfall.  I kind of wanted to get-up on the roof and shovel!(^.^)
車庫の前は、Steveのお父さんが雪が降る度に雪かきをされるのできれいですが、その雪かきで横に積まれた雪はかなり高くなっています・・・。
The area in front of the garage is all clear thanks to Steve's dad's tireless shoveling, but the shoveled snow gets piled-up along the side of the driveway and slowly grows into a huge mountain!


また、先月からSteveのお父さんHowardさんの新しいプロジェクトは、家の前に作った『かまくら』です。かまくらは、カナダでは先住民族の言葉で『クインジー』と言うそうです。
Steveと比べても分るようにかなり大きいです。
Also, starting last month Howard began a new project.  He made a snow cave, also referred to here in Canada by the Native Canadian word "quinzee" ("kamakura" in Japanese).  With Steve standing beside it, you can really see how tall it is!
これは12月に撮ったかまくら作り初日の写真です↓かまくらを比べただけでも1月はたくさん雪が降ったことが分ります!!
I took the picture below back in December when the quinzee was first being built.  In comparing the two pictures you can really see how much snow has fallen here since then!  

裏庭に行ったSteve。雪かきされてないところに行くと本当の積雪量が感じられます(^.^)
Steve ventured into the backyard.  Looking at a place were no snow has been shoveled reveals how much snow has piled-up naturally!
 こんな雪の日に、散歩に行く私たちを見送りに外に出てきたくださったHowardさんは半そで!!でした(^.^)
Would you believe that as we set-off for a walk one cold & snowy day that Howard came outside to see us off wearing nothing but a T-SHIRT!


と、ここまでが先週の様子です。
今週は気温が上がって、日中は7℃にもなりました。まだまだ道の横に積まれた雪はしっかり残っていますが、車道や歩道の雪は溶けました。これはたった今窓から撮った写真です。
Here is a shot of what it looked like outside last week.
This week it warmed-up quite a bit (up to 7℃ in the afternoon!).  The snow on the roads has all melted away (but there is still plenty of snow piled-up along the side roads!).  Just now I took this picture from our window.
今日から春らしく気候が変わるかなぁ・・・と叶いそうにない希望を持って今日も散歩に出ようと思います(*^_^*)
Maybe this means that spring-like weather is on its way?? (oh no! I spoke too soon! It's going to be -15℃ again this weekend!) Oh well, with this thought warming my heart I think we'll head-out on another walk today!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿