2011年1月6日木曜日

明けましておめでとうございます

明けましておめでとうございます!
新年初めてのブログです(^^)!!
Happy New Year everyone!
This is my first blog of the New Year!!
でも、個人的に正直なことを言うと、やっぱり紅白を見たり、かくし芸の音楽を聞いたり、1日の朝に着物を来た芸人の漫才を見ないと正月を迎えた感じがしません・・・。
しかも、おせちやお雑煮なしの正月なんて味気ないです・・・。
初詣も行けないと思うと行きたくなるものです。。。
I have to admit, not being able to greet everyone face to face, not getting to watch the New Year's Eve specials on t.v., not seeing the personalities all dressed-up in their special Kimonos on the morning shows on the 1st...it's hard to feel that it's New Years.  On top of that, I really miss enjoying my mom's Osechi and Ozoni traditional foods.  Realizing that I can't participate in the traditional "First visit to the shrine of the year", unlike in other years, really makes me wish I could!

カナダの正月は、カウントダウンの時だけで、後は特にないかなぁと思います。
日本と比べると、カナダのクリスマスが日本の正月と似てることが分かりました。
例えば、家族が集まって、街もテレビも周りの雰囲気がクリスマス(カナダ)・正月(日本)に向けて変わっていく様子が見られるからです。
My impression about Canadian New Years is that it is mostly about "the countdown".  From a Japanese standpoint, I found that it was more so Christmas in Canada that seemed more on par with the celebration of New Years that I am use to.  Family gets together, the change of atmosphere around town and on t.v. are noticeable.  In Canada, this is Christmas time.  In Japan, this is New Years.
日本でもクリスマスの雰囲気にはなりますが、クリスマスが終わると早々に正月に向けて雰囲気がガラッと変わります。ここがカナダと違うとことです。
門松、家の前に飾る注連縄(しめなわ)やテレビで正月の音楽や特別番組のCMが繰り返し流されると、正月が来るな~という気持ちになります。
Although there is a bit of fanfare around Christmas in Japan, soon after Christmas there is a quick turn-over and then it's all about New Years.  When I see Kadomatsu or Shimenawa decorations, hear special New Years music or start to see commercial for New Year's t.v. specials, these things are all tied-into creating a feeling of anticipation, that New Years is coming!  Of course, it is different here in Canada.   

カナダでは、正月はちょっとクリスマスの延長かな・・・と感じました。
家族がクリスマスに集まるのが習慣なので、正月までそのまま家族のところに残って一緒に過ごすという人が多いそうです。街の様子も家の中もクリスマスの飾りをそのまま残すので、雰囲気もクリスマスのままです。
It seems that in Canada, New Year's comes second to Christmas...not only in sequence, but also in importance.  (translator's note: maybe this is tied into people's decreasing energy, money, and tolerance to cheer (?) which is even more evident when Steve's birthday roles around on the 4th).  It seems to me that it is  hard for the New Year's to compete, as the lingering atmosphere, the celebrations along with the decorations that are still being enjoyed are centered around Christmas.

カナダの正月でクリスマスと違うところと言えば、花火が大晦日の夜(22時くらい)に盛大に上がって、NewYearのカウントダウンをして、12時になった瞬間に「乾杯~!」とスパークリングワインなどで乾杯する事です。
また、一番の違いは「乾杯!」の後にキスをすることです。恋人同士や夫婦などなど、新年を迎えた瞬間にキスをします。海外の映画やドラマでも新年のカウントダウンのシーンがあれば見られると思います。これは日本にない西洋の文化だなぁと実感しました。
私の実家では、新年を迎えると、正座をして「あけましておめでとうございます。」とお辞儀をするが習慣です。西洋文化とはなんだか間逆ですね。
New Years here in Canada involves fireworks (at midnight in bigger cities, but started at about 10:00 here), then at midnight everyone enjoys a countdown, a glass of sparkling wine in hand.  But perhaps the biggest cultural difference is what comes next!  Loved ones kiss and friends and family embrace each other in celebration.  For me, it's just like we see in the movies.  Its moment like this that I really feel  "wow, this is truly a Western custom that would be rare to see in Japan"
Back in Japan, my family custom is to sit "seiza" (a formal sitting position) and bow to one another while wishing each other "Akemashite Omedetougozaimasu!" (Happy New Year!)

また、カナダでは大晦日や1日は友達同士で集まってのパーティーもよくあるようです。
私たちも両日パーティーの誘いを受けました。残念ながらスティーブがぎっくり腰になったので、行けませんでしたが、やっぱりカナダではホームパーティーがたくさんあります(^^)
In Canada it is also common to have a party and get together with friends on New Year's Eve and sometimes on New Year's Day.  We had been invited to parties on both days, but unfortunately Steve had pulled a muscle in his lower back a few days before so we just took it easy.

ということで、家族が集まるクリスマスホリデーだったので、こちらの家にも、SteveのおじさんWalterとおばさんJoyceが滞在されました。
なかなか写真を撮る機会がなく、これは31日の朝に撮りましたが、一緒にディナーを食べたり、夜にゲームをしたり、お酒を片手にゆっくり話をしたり、充実した時間を一緒に過ごすことができました。また、WalterとJoyceは私たちの結婚式に来てくださったので、今回またお会いできてなんだか懐かしい気持ちがして、お会いできて良かったです(^^)
As I mentioned earlier, Christmas time is a time for getting together with family.  This year Steve's Uncle Walter and Aunt Joyce came from across the country to visit!  I don't seem to have many pictures from their visit, but here is one at breakfast on the day they flew back home.  We enjoyed some great meals together as well as good conversation over drinks in the evening.  Walter and Joyce had come to our wedding back in May, so this was my second chance to meet them!  I was glad to see them again!



日本のみなさん、私の分までたくさんおせちとお雑煮を食べてください!o(^_^)o
To everyone in Japan, please enjoy a bit (no, a lot!) of Osechi and Ozoni for me!

2 件のコメント:

  1. Happy New Year Yoshimi and Steve!

    It's so interesting to hear about the differences in traditions. I tend to think about New Years as 'one last party before the resolutions begin...' Just kidding :) Do you make resolutions in Japan? I have read about ozechi on this Japanese food blog that I read (http://www.justhungry.com/everything-osechi-ryouri-japanese-new-years-feast-food-has-meaning-and-confession), but what is ozoni? And do you make your own ozeschi? Whenever I read about mochii I think of you--the first time I tasted it was when you came to visit us in Paris after Christmas a couple of years ago.

    Hope you are doing well!
    Big hugs,
    Torie :)

    返信削除
  2. Happy New Year Torie and Erik!!

    Yes! We also make resolutions in Japan. I totally messed up in my blog. It's actually similarity.
    Ozoni is one of the Japanese traditional New Year dishes. It's a soup with Mochi. Like a Osechi it is a family or regional dish, so every family/region has their own Ozoni. My mother's ozoni is simple, just a kombu(seaweed)based soup and Mochi. I hope I can make you and Erik my family ozoni some day, but only on New Year(^^)...and only in Barbados!!

    返信削除