2010年12月14日火曜日

Round up / ラウンドアップ! 

街がすっかりクリスマスムードなので、早くクリスマスの事を書きたいですが、その前にすっかりブロクにし忘れていた『ロデオ』体験について書きます。
Christmas in full swing here and I want to write about all the Christmas stuff going on!! But I still have to cover some of the great things I experienced in the past month that I haven't yet shown on the blog!

『ロデオ』と聞くと、『ロデオマシーン』のイメージしかありませんが、今回の本物の・本場のロデオ体験ですっかりイメージが変わりました。
As a Japanese(?), when I hear the word "Rodeo" the first thing that comes to mind is a Bull Riding machine. What I saw last month at a genuine rodeo has done a lot to add that! These next two entries are about my experience last month at the Canadian Finals Rodeo!

まず、11月の初頭に、エドモントン市でロデオの決勝戦が数日間に渡って開かれました。昨年も同市であったようで、「ロデオの決勝戦はエドモントン市でしよう!」という動きがあるように感じられました。
The "C.F.R." took place over several day at the beginning of November in Edmonton.  Last year's competition was also held here in Alberta's capital, so people here really seemed to take pride in Edmonton being the host city!  (Steve says I am only beginning to learn of the rivalry that exists between Calgary and Edmonton)

そして、そのビッグイベントに先駆けて『ラウンド・アップ』というパレードがエドモントンのビジネス街のど真ん中でありました。
The event kicked-off with a parade downtown, called "The River City Round-Up"!  The main attraction was the herd of a hundred or so cattle who brought up the tail-end of the parade.
何と説明したらいいか分りませんが、上の写真のような行進で、途中で巨大なトラクターや戦車も行進に参加していました。見物客は行列に向かって手を振ったりしていたので、私も声援の代わりに手を振りました。時々、目が合うと手を振り返してくれるので嬉しかったです。
また、さすが牛肉で有名なアルバータ州なので、こんなトラックもありました(^^)↓
How do I explain this... it was a parade of agricultural and farm equipment, lots of horses and rounded-off with a few military vehicles.  The people in the parade waved at the crowd as they passed by and I enjoyed smiling and waving back.  Despite crowd lining the street, the people in the parade would often look right at you - I found it kind of exciting to make eye contact and connect with a smile and a wave!
Also, seeing how this is Alberta, of course the famed Alberta beef also made an appearance!    
BBQマシーン
(日本ではあんまり見たことがありません。ガスで網焼きができます)
This is a something we don't often see in Japan...by this I mean the Gas BBQ (also, that the BBQ is in the back of a truck...in a parade...)
一通り行進が終わったところで、最後が『ラウンドアップ』です。
Bringing up the rear was "The Round-Up"
馬に乗ったカーボーイが牛の大群を囲んで、牛を移動させることを『ラウンドアップ』と言うようです。この通りの先にあるギャラリーの前がゴールだったので、最後尾のカーボーイの後に続いて、みんな移動しました。
Cowboys on horseback surrounded the cattle and guided them along as a herd, "rounding" them up. As they passed by, spectators followed along behind them (careful of where they stepped).  The area in front of the gallery near the end of the parade route was the goal.  The cattle were herded into a corral that had been set up, completing the "round-up".    
後ろのうねっている建物が、ギャラリーです。
広場では特設ステージでカントリーシンガーが歌っていたり、出店(ホットドックやドーナツなど)がありました。
The gallery is the funky looking building back on the right.  The square in front of city hall (in front of the pyramid and bell tower) was a events area with stalls serving hotdogs, chili, donuts, coffee and there was live Country music on stage!
最終的に牛は右奥の茶色の可動式牛舎に戻っていきます。
Finally, the cattle were loaded up the blue ramp and into the truck.
この行進が初めてで興味深かったことに間違いはありませんが、それ以上にこんなに一般の人(男女問わず)がカーボーイハット&ブーツ姿で参加してるのを見れるなんて思っていませんでした!!それを撮ったいい写真が無いのが残念。これもこちらの文化の1つですね(^^)
The parade itself was a sight to see, but what I found really interesting was to see so many people (men & women) wearing cowboy hats and cowboy boots! It's not so common to see people dressed like that in the city, but when the rodeo is in town a lot of people from the countryside are too, and local people like to dress-up as well.  Too bad I don't have any good pictures to show that...as this is a neat part of the culture here.
では、次の回ではロデオに行った日の事を書きます!!
The next entry is all about going to see the Rodeo!!!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿